Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Moodle Is The New Orange

I stumbled upon a great open source project yesterday called moodle. Moodle is a web based Course Management System (CMS) for creating and maintaining online courses (e-learning, I suppose). It boasts a metric ton of features without being too bloated. The features come in the form of modules and there is a fair amount of them out of the box. Some of them include: Lesson, Quiz, Book, Grade book, Calendar, Forum, Glossary, Survey, Wiki, Workshop, and Assignment. Each of these modules has quite a few settings and can be a little confusing to set up. I had a little trouble setting up a test course the way I wanted. Perhaps it was the shear number of settings but I think it was just that it doesn’t do everything one could think of. However, most of the screens contain a pop-up window with help that is actually informative. After spending some time with it, I feel right at home. I’ve also had some time to think about what I’d like to see in the future. It’s nice to see this project under active development. I really look forward to the future of moodle.

Below I’ve listed some features I’d love to see:

  • Integrate Flickr accounts directly into the Resource manager
  • Somehow integrate Lesson/Book and Quiz together so I can have a required Quiz at the end of a Lesson.
    • Currently, Lesson puts a quiz question at the end of each page. Book doesn’t have a quiz feature.
    • Once the student starts the Quiz, the Lesson/Book is no longer available until the completion of the Quiz.
    • The Quiz review page should have links to the Lesson/Book page on which the answer is found.
  • Provide RSS feeds for new entries to modules

I’ll post more ideas as I think of them.

In the mean time: Bravo, moodle team. Bravo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home